Special Launch Activities:
· On March 7, Build-A-Bear Workshop is launching a national fundraising partnership with
St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital and will kick off its Cause for Celebration program.
In conjunction with the launch of this new program, Build-A-Bear Workshop is providing fans on its Facebook page with the opportunity to win a “Cause for Celebration” party valued at $300 for themselves and friends. Build-A-Bear Workshop will award one party each month from March through August. All participants in this contest will be entered to win the grand prize, a Build-A-Party® celebration valued at $500 and plus a $500 contribution to St. Jude made in their name. For more details or to enter to win, visit facebook.com/buildabear
· Also beginning March 7, Build-A-Bear Workshop will match each Guest $10 donation when a St. Jude party is scheduled up to the first 1,000 St. Jude parties.
· Please join us and experience our new Cause for Celebration Parties by participating in our launch activity.
· We also invite you to tweet about the program to help us launch this effort nationally.
Please use #BABWStJude to tweet about the event.
o Other handles you may want to include:
About the Cause for Celebration Party Program:
· Beginning on March 7, Guests who schedule a party at any Build-A-Bear Workshop store across the country will have the option of adding an additional $10 dollar donation to their party. Their entire ten dollar donation will be directed to St. Jude to support life-saving research and treatment at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.
· In honor of each Guest donation to the hospital to help with their important research and treatment, Build-A-Bear Workshop will, in addition, give a St. Jude patient a gift card to experience the fun of making their very own furry friend at any Build-A-Bear Workshop store nationwide and in Canada.
How the St. Jude parties work:
· Guests book a “Cause for Celebration” party which includes their $10 donation to St. Jude.
· Each party attendee places a special sticker on a St. Jude Party Poster and receives a second sticker to wear. The posters will be given to St. Jude once they are completely covered in stickers.
· The Party Guest of honor will receive a bear sized tee shirt for their new furry friend that says “I helped the children of St. Jude” for all the party attendees to sign.
· We are also excited to announce that during the month of March, Guests will also be able to make a donation to St. Jude during the check-out process at any of our stores in the United States or Canada or when they check out at buildabear.com
· A gift package containing a $10 Build-A-Bear Workshop gift card and personalized card signed by party Guests will be presented to each St. Jude child at a party held for them in the hospital when they reach a milestone in their treatment.
Additional materials for background information
Background on St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital:
• St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital is the nation’s leading research and treatment center for children with cancer and other catastrophic diseases.
• No child is ever turned away because of a family’s inability to pay.
• They cover all costs for treatment, travel, food and lodging for patients and one family member.
• St. Jude freely shares its discoveries with the medical community worldwide.
• St. Jude has the largest protocol-based pediatric brain tumor research program in the country and has one of the largest pediatric sickle cell disease programs in the country.
• St. Jude discovered a way to lessen side effects, making radiation treatment more effective for virtually all cancers.
• St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital named the No. 1 pediatric cancer care hospital in the country by Parents magazine in 2009.
• St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital enjoys a 97% awareness rating and 9 out of 10 people have a favorable opinion of St. Jude *
• St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital ranked #1 in Trust out of 1,151 non-profit brands included in the 2010 EquiTrend® study conducted by Harris Interactive.
• St. Jude was voted the #1 charity of choice by Fox Sports employees. We will be their official charity for the 2010 NFL season on Fox which runs from September 2010 through the Super Bowl 2011.
Background Marlo Thomas :
• Marlo Thomas is the daughter of St. Jude founder Danny Thomas. She is spokesperson and national outreach director for St. Jude. She is an award-winning actress and author, first known for her acting debut in television’s That Girl, which broke new ground for independent women everywhere, and which she also conceived and produced. Her pioneering spirit continued with her creation of Free to Be... You and Me, a project that became a platinum album, bestselling book, Emmy Award-winning television special and a stage show. In Spring 2011, she will star on Broadway in Elaine May‘s new comedy, George is Dead. She has just completed production on a new film, LOL (Laughing Out Loud), co-starring Demi Moore and Miley Cyrus to be released in 2011. Ms. Thomas is the author of five bestselling books, Free to Be You and Me, Free to Be a Family, The Right Words at the Right Time (Volumes 1 and 2), and Thanks and Giving: All Year Long, the latter of which became a Grammy-winning CD. In September 2010, Hyperion books released her sixth book—and only memoir—Growing Up Laughing: My Story and the Story of Funny.
Background on Maxine Clark:
• Maxine Clark is one of the true innovators in the retail industry. During her 30+-year career, her ability to spot emerging retail and merchandising trends and her insight into the desires of the American consumer have generated growth for retail leaders, including department store, discount and specialty stores. In 1997, she founded Build-A-Bear Workshop, a teddy-bear themed retail-entertainment experience. Today there are more than 400 Build-A-Bear Workshop stores worldwide, including company-owned stores in the U.S., Puerto Rico, Canada, the United Kingdom, and Ireland, and franchise stores in Europe, Asia, Australia, Africa, Mexico and the Middle East. The company extends its in-store interactive experience online with its award winning virtual world at bearville.com®. In 2011 Build-A-Bear Workshop was named to the FORTUNE 100 Best Companies to Work For® list for the third year in a row. Maxine’s extra curricular passion is public education and she serves on many boards that are dedicated to improving the education of children. She is a graduate of the University of Georgia and holds an honorary Doctor of Laws degree from St. Louis University. Maxine’s first book “The Bear Necessities of Business: Building a Company with Heart” was published in 2006.